東大数理の談話会(5月、オンライン)についてご案内申し上げます。

Date:28 May (Friday) 15:30-16:30

Speaker:立川 裕二 先生 (カブリ数物連携宇宙研究機構)

Title :Physics and algebraic topology

Abstract:Although we often talk about the "unreasonable effectiveness
of mathematics in the natural sciences", there are great disparities in
the relevance of various subbranches of mathematics to individual fields
of natural sciences. Algebraic topology was a subject whose influence to
physics remained relatively minor for a long time, but in the last
several years, theoretical physicists started to appreciate the
effectiveness of algebraic topology more seriously. For example, there
is now a general consensus that the classification of the symmetry-
protected topological phases, which form a class of phases of matter
with a certain particularly simple property, is done in terms of
generalized cohomology theories.

In this talk, I would like to provide a historical overview of the use
of algebraic topology in physics, emphasizing a few highlights along the
way. If the time allows, I would also like to report my struggle to
understand the anomaly of heterotic strings, using the theory of
topological modular forms.

(講演は英語です。)

参加を希望される方は、以下のURLから参加登録を行ってくださいますよう
お願い申し上げます。