[geometry-ml:01358] DCS セミナー開催のお知らせ

Yuki Miura miura @ es.hokudai.ac.jp
2011年 11月 7日 (月) 15:25:57 JST

数学談話会・第17回 DCSセミナー (Dynamics of Complex Systems) のお知らせ
Prof. James A. Yorke 一般講演会

講演者: Prof. James A. Yorke(University of Maryland)
日 時: 12月6日(火) 16:30〜
場 所: 北海道大学 理学部5号館5-201室

Title: The Many Facets of Chaos

Chaos is a concept with many facets or aspects. It has many several
definitions that emphasize different aspects of chaos. None is complete.
My talk will illustrate how focusing on different aspects of chaos leads us in
different directions and results in a fuller understanding of chaos.

DCSセミナーウェブ:
http://www.math.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/center/field/seminar-index/danwakaidcsseminar17.php

  第18回 DCSセミナー (Dynamics of Complex Systems) のお知らせ

講演者: Prof. James A. Yorke(University of Maryland)
日 時: 12月7日(水) 15:00〜
場 所: 北海道大学 理学部5号館5-301室

Title: Partial Control of Chaos
In control theory, someone selects a desirable trajectory, often an equilibrium and then chooses a feedback control that forces that trajectory to be implemented. In a chaotic situation with noise, it is always necessary to have a control that is stronger than the noise so that the noise can be overcome.

In life it is far more common that we want to assure certain situations do not occur. For example, that our company does not become bankrupt, or we do not crash our car. Here I aim to build a simple mathematical model of such situations. Our concept of "partial control" selects one or more possible regions of phase space of a chaotic system to be avoided. We must then ensure that this trajectory never enters these regions. We look at situations where the control is always weaker than the noise.

Title: Determining DNA Sequences: New Challenges
Knowing the DNA sequences of the various species has become the foundation for many
areas of biology, and it promises to become more important. How to determine the
sequence of A,C,G,&T in a species' DNA was well understood until recently, when the
situation suddenly changed. Recently,generating fragments of the sequence for
whole genome assembly has become 10,000 times cheaper, but the cheap fragments have
much lower quality. As a result the publication of new genomes has slowed. My group
specializes in assembling large genomes. I willreport on progress. My group's current projects include the Indian Cow genome (which has 3 billion bases) and the Loblolly Pine Tree genomes (which has 24 billion bases in its genome).

DCSセミナーウェブ:
http://www.math.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/center/field/seminar-index/seminar18.php

 DCS (Dynamics of Complex Systems)セミナーは、
「数学的予測方式の可能性と諸分野からのニーズを探る」という目的のもとで、
北大数学教室、数学連携研究センター、電子科学研究所、創成研究機構に所属する
力学系と周辺分野に関わるメンバーを中心に定期的に開催していく予定です。

問い合わせ先:

由利美智子 yuri @ math.sci.hokudai.ac.jp
行木孝夫 nami @ math.sci.hokudai.ac.jp

数学教室談話会連絡先:北海道大学大学院理学研究院数学部門 Tel:011-706-2678