[geometry-ml:04612] OIST Analysis on metric spaces mini-courses on March

Xiaodan Zhou XIAODAN.ZHOU @ OIST.JP
2022年 2月 16日 (水) 15:18:44 JST

Dear all,

This is Xiaodan Zhou from Analysis on metric spaces unit at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University.

We would like to invite you to join virtually the following two mini-courses hosted at OIST from March 8th to March 14th.

1. Time: Lecture 1-Tue, March 8, 2022  10:00 - 11:00 AM       Lecture 2  Wed, March 9, 2022  10:00 - 11:00 AM       Lecture 3  Thu, March 10, 2022  9:30 - 10:30 AM
    Speaker: Professor Asuka Takatsu, Tokyo Metropolitan University
    Title: Curvature and Optimal transport
    Abstract: In this series of lectures, I first review the notion of curvature (Gaussian curvature and Ricci curvature). In particular, I recall some comparison theorems (Toponogov's triangle comparison theorem, Bishop--Gromov volume comparison theorem etc).Then I introduce a generalized notion of curvature in non-smooth spaces.

2. Time: Lecture 1-Thu, March 10, 2022  11:00 - 12:00           Lecture 2 Fri, March 11, 2022  10:00 - 11:00        Lecture 3  Mon, March 14, 2022  10:00 - 11:00
    Speaker: Professor Jun Kitagawa, Michigan State University
    Title: A brief introduction to branched optimal transport
    Abstract: The optimal transport (also known as Monge-Kantorovich) problem is a classical optimization problem which has recently become the focus of much research with connections to various fields such as PDEs, geometry, and applications. In particular, it provides an effective way to metrize the space of probability measures on a given metric space. However, there is an alternate approach to metrizing such spaces using so called branched optimal transport. Branched optimal transport is based on the classical Gilbert-Steiner problem, later adapted by Qinglan Xia, and in contrast to the Monge-Kantorovich approach tends to yield branching structures. In this series of lectures I will introduce the basics of branched optimal transport and discuss some of the known results in the literature.

You can obtain a zoom link through the following registration page:
1. https://oist.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcqd-6hqj0tGdELLsrUNdzVcTMVooGDLs0M
2. https://oist.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwsdOutrjsqGNTpOijDiaNcT_AxYuiU_Bcl

More information of the two mini-courses can be found here:
1. https://groups.oist.jp/aoms/event/mini-course-curvature-and-optimal-transport-professor-asuka-takatsu-tokyo-metropolitan
2. https://groups.oist.jp/aoms/event/mini-course-brief-introduction-branched-optimal-transport-associate-professor-jun

Please feel free to share the information with anyone who may in interested. We look forward to seeing you in the mini-courses.

Best regards,
Xiaodan Zhou

Analysis on Metric Spaces Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
xiaodan.zhou @ oist.jp<mailto:xiaodan.zhou @ oist.jp>

https://groups.oist.jp/aoms