Speaker: Prof. John F. Duncan (Case Western)
Date: June 16
Time: 13:15-14:45
Place: Seminar Room A, Kavli IPMU

Title: Moonshine and Sigma Models

Abstract: In the first part of the talk I will review the Conway
moonshine observation of Conway--Norton, and the more recent Mathieu
moonshine observation of Eguchi--Ooguri--Tachikawa. The latter of these
indicates a relationship between the largest of the sporadic simple
Mathieu groups and the moduli space of K3 sigma models. In the second
part I will describe a vertex operator superalgebra that connects these
two moonshine observations together, and partially illuminates the
relationship between Mathieu's groups and K3 sigma models.

Todor Eliseev Milanov
Associate Professor
Kavli IPMU,  Japan

todor.milanov @ ipmu.jp