Speaker: Thomas Bitoun (Higher school of Economy, Moscow)
Date: Fri, Dec 12, 2014, 15:30 - 17:00
Place: Kavli IPMU, Seminar room B

Title:
D-modules and arithmetic: a theory of the b-function in positive
characteristic.

Abstract:
We exhibit a construction in noncommutative nonnoetherian algebra that
should be understood as a positive characteristic analogue of the
Bernstein-Sato polynomial or b-function. Recall that the b-function is a
polynomial in one variable attached to an analytic function f. It is
well-known to be related to the singularities of f and is useful in
continuing a certain type of zeta functions, associated with f. We will
briefly recall the complex theory and then emphasize the arithmetic aspects
of our construction.

Todor Eliseev Milanov
Assistant Professor
Kavli IPMU,  Japan