Speaker:Tathagata Basak (Iowa State U)

Date: 2012 August 9 (Th) 13:15-- 14:45

Title:
>From a finite projective plane to the monster via hyperbolic geometry.

Abstract :
Using the combinatorics of projective planes over the finite field of
q elements, I shall construct a family of sqrt(-q) modular lattices.

Then I shall talk about the automorphism group R of the lattice
obtained for q  = 3. Let Y be the complex hyperbolic space on which R
acts minus the fixed points of R and let X be the quotient of Y by R.
Daniel Allcock has conjectured that the fundamental group of X  is
related to the monster simple group.

I shall explain the motivation behind this conjecture and state some
results that provide supporting evidence.
You can check the location from
http://www.ipmu.jp/access-0
The schedule of the seminar can be checked from
http://db.ipmu.jp/seminar/