[geometry-ml:00964] Re: Miniworkshop at IPMU 11/16-18 (title and abstract by Bassak)

Satoshi Kondo satoshi.kondo @ gmail.com
2009年 11月 13日 (金) 22:33:13 JST

Dear colleagues:

We add to our announcement the title and abstract by
Tathagata Bassak.

There was also an error.
> 13:30 - 15:30      Colin Ingalls
should be 13:30-15:00   Colin Ingalls.
I am sorry.

-------------------------------
Tathagata Bassak:
Title: A complex hyperbolic reflection group and the monster.

Abstract:
Let R be the reflection group of the complex Leech lattice plus a
hyperbolic cell. Let D be the incidence graph of the projective plane
with three elements. Let A(D) be the Artin group of D : generators of
A(D) correspond to the vertices of D. Two generators braid if there
is an edge between them, otherwise they commute.

It is surprising that both the bimonster and the reflection group R
are quotients of A(D), when the generators are mapped to elements
of order 2 and 3 respectively.

A conjecture by Daniel Allcock seeks to explain this connection
between R and the bimonster via complex hyperbolic geometry.
We shall present some of the evidence for this conjecture
so far. An imprecise analogy with Weyl groups, will be guiding
our investigation.

Any previous encounter with the monster or the Leech lattice
will not be assumed.
Best regards,

Satoshi Kondo (IPMU)
http://ipmu.jp/